HUNTINGsmart!’s hunter education course is your best bet for hunting safely in The Peach State.
Hunting is a major part of life for many in Georgia, from skeet shooting to deer season. Plenty of adults and children in Georgia grow up hunting, with camo and a hunting rifle as their uniform every weekend. Hunting is a great way to spend time with your loved ones, provide for your family, and pass along deep traditions to everyone around you, but it’s also a serious subject. Hunting and gun safety are important to Georgia hunters, and hunting safety education is a key piece of that puzzle.
In Georgia, all hunters born on or after January 1, 1961 must take a hunting safety course and become certified to hunt legally—not to mention obtaining the right licenses and permits to do so. While we love a great day out on the deer lease, we also know that there’s a lot that goes along with hunting, and for good reason. By taking your hunting safety education course online with HUNTINGsmart!, you’ll become an ethical, trained hunter in no time. While Georgia hunters have a couple of options available to them when it comes to completing their hunting safety training, we think HUNTINGsmart! is the best bet, and we’re breaking it all down right here.
Do I need to take a Georgia Hunter Education Safety Course?
In Georgia, all hunters (and visiting hunters from out-of-state) born on or after January 1, 1961 must complete an approved hunting safety education course before they may purchase their hunting license.
- Hunters under age 12: While hunters under the age of 12 are not yet required to complete a hunting safety course, they must be directly supervised while hunting.
- Hunters age 12-15: All hunters between the age of 12-15 must complete a course unless directly supervised. They must not hunt alone without completing hunter safety education.
- Hunters age 16-25: All hunters between the age of 16-25 must present their hunting education certificate when purchasing a hunting license and must also carry their certification while hunting.
- Hunters age 25 and up: All hunters born on or after January 1, 1961 must complete all Georgia hunting safety requirements, but do not need to present their certification while purchasing a hunting license or carry it while hunting.
Who is exempt from needing to take a Georgia Hunter Education Safety Course?
In Georgia, there are a few exemptions from the requirement to take a hunter education safety course. The exceptions are as follows:
- Those born before January 1, 1961
- Hunters under the age of 12 and up to the age of 15, as long as they are directly supervised the entire time they are hunting
- Those who possess an Apprentice License or short-term license
- Hunters hunting on their own land
- Those hunting pen-raised game birds on a licensed shooting preserve
What’s the difference between an online Georgia Hunter Education Safety Course and an in-person course?
In Georgia, there are online and in-person options to complete your hunter education safety course. The in-person classroom option, while free, is typically presented in one of two ways: a long, 6-8 hour in-person class or several shorter classes with attendance requirements.
With an online hunter education safety course like HUNTINGsmart!’s, you can take the course and the test in about 8 hours on your own time. HUNTINGsmart! students can make their way through the coursework in as little as 1 day or as much as a month (or longer!) if that’s what it takes. By taking an online course, you’re in charge of your time.
How long does it take?
In-class hunting safety education options involve anywhere from 4-8 hours of active learning time, done in one class or multiple sessions. With HUNTINGsmart!, you’ll be able to complete your course on your own time, on your own device and at your own pace. Developed by experts and real hunters, HUNTINGsmart!’s fully narrated and animated courses are a much more fun alternative.
Benefits to taking your Georgia Hunter Education Safety Course online
There’s a myriad of benefits to taking your Georgia Hunter Education Safety Course online through HUNTINGsmart!, with engaging lessons, live-action videos and content designed by hunters, for hunters.
When taking your hunter education safety course online with HUNTINGsmart!, you’ll also have lifetime access to all content as well as unlimited retries of your certification test. You’ll take the online course, pass the official GDNR exam, print your temporary card and download your official certification instantly from Go Outdoors Georgia. That’s all!
Hunting is a big part of life for many in The Peach State, and there’s few things as fun to Georgian hunters as a safe and exciting hunting experience. By taking your hunting education course online through HUNTINGsmart!, you’ll have lifetime access to a library of content packed with extensive, engaging and fun lessons to teach you how to be a safer hunter.
HUNTINGsmart!’s courses are 100% narrated and animated, and were all designed by hunters and for hunters, complete with live-action videos built to help prepare you for real-world hunting situations. With lifetime access and a curriculum designed for your schedule, HUNTINGsmart! is the right, state-approved choice for all Georgia hunters, regardless of age, experience and skill level. Get certified in three easy steps today!
Want to learn more about how to get started in hunting? Check out Tips for the Brand New Hunter.