HUNTINGsmart! USA Knowledge Base
Module 02 - FIREARM SAFETY
If you pass a firearm to another person or receive a firearm from another person, you must follow these steps in order to perform the transfer safely:
- Keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction.
- Unload the firearm with your back to the other person.
- Turn the safety ‘ON’.
- With the action open, check the chamber and magazine for ammunition.
- With the action open, have the recipient verify that there is no ammunition in the chamber or magazine.
- At this point, the recipient should grasp the firearm securely.
- Maintain your own grip on the firearm until the recipient verbally acknowledges a secure hold (i.e. by saying ‘thanks’ or ‘I’ve got it’).