PADDLERsmart! USA Knowledge Base
Module 02 - Boating Equipment
This is the most buoyant life jacket option. Type I’s are designed to turn an unconscious wearer face-up in the water. You should wear this type of life jacket if you’ll be paddling in rough water conditions, if you’ll be far from shore, or if you’ll be in a location where a quick rescue might not be immediately possible.
- The high level of buoyancy increases the likelihood of your survival during an overboard emergency.
- This is a larger, heavier vest than the other life jacket types and can be less comfortable to wear while paddling.
The Type I’s available include:
- Inherently Buoyant Type I PFDs - SOLAS Service.
- Inherently Buoyant Type I PFDs - U.S. Service.
- Inflatable Type I PFDs - SOLAS and Domestic.
- Hybrid Type I PFDs – U.S. Services.