PADDLERsmart! USA Knowledge Base
Module 05 - Emergency Preparedness
Heat stroke results from failure of the body to cool itself and occurs when the body temperature rises to critical levels around the mark of 104 -108° F.
Symptoms: Your body will stop sweating, your skin will be hot, dry or red, your core body temperature will reach 104° F, you may lose consciousness and you may experience convulsions.
How to Treat Heat Stroke:
- Seek medical help immediately.
- Move the heat stroke victim to a cool area.
- Soak their clothes with cold water.
- Fan the victim to cool them.
- Do not attempt to give the victim fluids if they are unconscious.